Major General William Rufus Shafter (October 16, 1835–November 12, 1906), commander of the 5th Army Corps in 1898, has a Bacon number of 7!
7. William Rufus Shafter was in Surrender of General Toral (1898) with Joseph Wheeler.
6. Joseph Wheeler was in General Wheeler and Secretary of War Alger at Camp Wikoff (1898) with Russell Alexander Alger.
5. Russell Alexander Alger was in President McKinley’s Inspection of Camp Wikoff (1898) with William McKinley.
4. William McKinley was in President McKinley Inauguration (1901) with Theodore Roosevelt.
3. Theodore Roosevelt was in Womanhood, the Glory of the Nation (1917) with Woodrow Wilson.
2. Woodrow Wilson was in The American Experience (Woodrow Wilson: Episode One) (1988) with Laura Linney.
1. Laura Linney was in Mystic River (2003) with Kevin Bacon.
If you don’t know what I’m talking about, check out the Oracle of Bacon.
Update — December 25, 2019
William Rufus Shafter’s Bacon number has changed to 4.
Originally, the Oracle of Bacon used the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) to determine connections. Currently, they use the English version of Wikipedia to determine connections. Also, as new movies are made or Wikipedia articles get updated, the connections can change.
The current links from William Rufus Shafter to Kevin Bacon are:
4. William Rufus Shafter was in Surrender of General Toral (1898) with Joseph Wheeler.
3. Joseph Wheeler was in Fellini Satyricon (1969) with Capucine.
2. Capucine was in The Pink Panther (1963) with Robert Wagner.
1. Robert Wagner was in Wild Things (1998) with Kevin Bacon.
Using the December 25, 2019 incarnation of the Oracle of Bacon, here are updated Bacon numbers for the folks in the original post:
William Rufus Shafter has a Bacon number of 4.
Joseph Wheeler has a Bacon number of 3.
The Oracle cannot find Russell Alexander Alger.
William McKinley has a Bacon number of infinity.
Theodore Roosevelt has a Bacon number of infinity.
Woodrow Wilson has a Bacon number of infinity.
Laura Linney has a Bacon number of 1.
Kevin Bacon has a Bacon number of 0.